Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Honey Mustard Kielbasa and Potatoes

Many moons ago, when Darrell and I were poor college students, we made Zatarain's rice mixes a regular part of our diet. Red beans and rice and jambalaya were our staples--and we always beefed them up a little bit by adding a pound of kielbasa. Well, now that we are gainfully employed members of society and can afford to spend more than $1.50 on a sodium- and preservative-packed package of Zatarain's, we've pretty well cut them out of our diet. I, however, was not ready to give up kielbasa. Maybe it's the German/Polish in me, but I was set on finding a new kielbasa recipe. And boy, did we ever hit the jackpot on our first try. Not only is it deliciously good, but it makes plenty of leftovers AND uses wine (which, naturally, forces us to finish the rest of the bottle with dinner). Two major pluses in my book.


Honey Mustard Kielbasa and Potatoes
(not a clue where we got this recipe, we've been cooking it for well over a year)

3/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup honey mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 lb kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 lb red potatoes, cubed
1 large onion, sliced

Mix wine, mustard, and brown sugar until well blended. Combine remaining ingredients in a shallow pan. Drizzle with wine mixture and toss to coat. Bake 55 minutes at 400* or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

Don't worry, I didn't make Darrell do all the work. I mixed up the sauce--and got the drinks :-)

Did I also mention this recipe is ridiculously easy? Minimal amount of prep, and then just throw it in the oven for an hour and you're good to go. One tip though--even if you aren't a big fan of onions, they really shouldn't be omitted from this recipe. The moisture content in them really helps keep everything from getting dry. And besides, after roasting them in the oven for an hour you can't even hardly taste them (trust me on this--onions and I are not good friends, but I gobble them right up in this recipe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment