Monday, July 11, 2011

Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon

Friday night was a momentous occasion at our house, and what better way to celebrate a special event than with a little vino?


Now, I know that champagne is usually the go-to celebration drink for most people, but I have a husband who is not to fond of champagne, so it's wine for us. We've had this little gem sitting in our cupboard for nearly two years now because we were saving it for a special occasion, and finally had reason to break into it Friday night as we crossed another item off our 101 in 1001 list--Darrell's car is officially paid off! Over the past couple of months we've been making some aggressive payments to it, and were able to get it paid off over a year and a half before we were "scheduled" too. Definitely looking forward to not making that payment each month....more money for wine?

Anyway, this wine, as we had expected, was pretty great. It took me a few sips to get used to it because for the past few weeks I've been drinking a fair amount of sangria, as this was (as you would expect) no where near as sweet. Or fruity. But still oh so good. I've heard people throw around the word "full-bodied" when referring to wine, and I think this wine would definitely fit the bill--even small sips had plenty of flavor and body! It did have a slightly acidic smell that I was concerned about at first because I thought the wine had perhaps fallen victim to cork taint, but (fear not!) it was perfectly drinkable. I think I was just taken aback initially because it's been so long since we've opened a bottle of red (they are just marginally different from the moscatos I've been making sangria with). Guess we'll have to remedy that by drinking wine more frequently--and we're off to a good start this week with a Chardonnay chilling for dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment