Saturday, July 16, 2011

5K Victory and Jazz Fest!

Don't get too excited--this wasn't any sort of spectacular race, and I certainly didn't get any type of prize. Rather, for me, the victory was in running the whole thing. My time was mediocre at best (somewhere around 31 minutes), but considering my legs had been sore and tight all week from soccer on Sunday, and then to go out and play another full game on Thursday and beat them up again--I was pleased just to be able to run the whole thing. Of course, a lot of my motivation to keep running was due to the fact that I had a running buddy--my good friend Matt!


The 5K was in support of Jazz Fest, which, for those of you not from the area, is a three-day jazz music festival held every July in Sioux Falls. It's pretty ridiculous--last year they estimated that attendance was over 75,000 people, and as we were walking in last night we were walking past cars from as far away as California! They set it up at one of the soccer complexes in town (which houses around 20 full-size soccer fields) and just fill it up with people and musicians and vendors--and porta-potties, of course! Here's a shot from last night in front of the main stage:


Normally, Darrell and I would head down there for the afternoon since we have a free day, but there are excessive heat warnings for like the next four days (temps in the nineties with the humidity making it feel more like 110) and I'm just not that dedicated of a Jazz Fest fan. Besides--we made sure to get our funnel cake when we were there last night, so I'm set! Here's a parting shot of Darrell and I enjoying the music last night--hope everyone has a good (and cool!) weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment