Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Off the Wagon...

Here's a nice little story about my average day:





Work.....







More work....


Dinner.....



And finally, sleep

What, you ask, is so bad about that? Most of the time, nothing. I get my breaks every now and then, and I'm fortunate enough that Darrell and I get dinner together pretty much every night. But the most glaring omission (at least in my book)? Exercise. I would loooove to be able to fit exercise in on a daily basis--but that would mean eating dinner later than I already do (pretty sure you aren't really supposed to eat after eight) or getting up well before the crack of dawn, since most days I'm already up before the sun anyway. But I do genuinely miss a good, regular, work out (don't ask about the 100 push up challenge....that's a post for another day). So I've made a decision. I'm running a 5K. It's not until March 12th so that gives me some time to prepare, but hopefully with a purpose I'll have an easier time making myself sneak in workouts (like the nights that I could make it to the gym by 6 but generally choose not to). And, to further help myself onto the exercise bandwagon, I'm going to make up a "training" schedule. A realistic (for me and my life) training schedule. I know there all sorts of "real" training schedules out there full of suggested mile progressions and paces and rest days and everything else, but those won't be realistic for me. Because let's be honest, I'll be lucky to get in a grand total of 20 miles between now and March 12th. But, I can make my schedule around the fact that I'm working three 12-hour shifts one week. So all I do that week is 10 minutes of jump rope every morning, because that's realistically all I'll be able to handle. Sure, it won't get me the fastest 5K time out there, but that's not the point. I need to get back on the fitness wagon, then I can worry about tackling more difficult things (like a 10K! Hopefully sometime this fall....)


Oh, and you know what else I'm going to do? Start wearing a pedometer again. I am sure that I have become far too sedentary at my job, and I'm almost afraid to see how few steps I've been taking. But at least with a pedometer I have a tangible goal to reach (10,000 steps a day is the recommended amount!), and hopefully within a few weeks I'll be able to get there (even if it means walking laps while I brush my teeth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment