Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Book Thief

This book review is loooong overdue. I've actually finished another book since this one, and I'm well on my way to finishing another. So I figured that I'd better get this one posted before I had three books queued up and ready to be blogged about. You'll also notice a slight trend between these next three books, although I swear it wasn't intentional. Anyway, on to The Book Thief


I looooved this book. At one time, when I went to pick it up to read it, I actually had the thought "maybe I should do something else instead of read, because if I read this some more now I'll be closer to finishing it and I don't want it to end". Or something along those lines. But seriously, the book was amazing. It's set in Nazi Germany (which is an era that I love to read about--and also the common link between the most recent books I've read), but told from an unusual perspective: Death. Although Death is the primary narrator of the story, it follows the journey of a young German girl and how the war affects her life and the lives of those around her. Death comes upon this story because of a journal the girl kept, which he happens to pick up while collecting souls (but I won't say whose...). Despite being told by Death, the story isn't all dark sad and gloomy. Not only does Death have a dry sense of humor at times, but since it's also the story of the young girl, it details the highs and lows, comedies and tragedies, of her life. Which I think is what I love most about this book. I've read quite a few books on Nazi Germany, but this was the first one I've read that shows the war through such unique eyes: the eyes of a young German girl--what the war means to her, her slow understanding of the issues, the tragedy of coming of age during such an awful time--and the eyes of Death. 


Even though I'm sure not everyone enjoys reading war literature like I do, I still think that everyone should read this book. It's not the blood and guts of many war novels, but merely the everyday life of a young girl who just happens to be living during that time period. And if for no other reason, everyone should read this book just because of the incredibly unique literary style and voice. I've read my fair share of books, and I've never seen one that has a "format" like this. I certainly had a hard time putting the book down, that's for sure!


Oh, and PS: I borrowed this book from a friend, so if anyone out there is ever looking for a gift for me this book would definitely be on the list. Even just thinking about picking it up and reading it again makes me excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment