Thursday, June 30, 2011

Middle Age: A Romance

Don't worry, I'm not making the (bold) statement that I am of middle age and having some sort of crisis. It's actually just a book review.


I read this book a few weeks ago when we were at the beach. Truthfully, if it hadn't been for the fact that we were on vacation, I probably wouldn't have finished it. Plus the fact that it belonged to the house we were staying at, so I couldn't take it with me. It's not that it was all that terrible or anything, but it was just long. Like 450 pages long. Don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of longer books, but this book seriously lacked action. The initial excitement at the beginning is the death of middle age man, and the rest of the book follows five or six of his friends and how his death changes their lives. Because it's strictly narrative for the majority of the book, it has great character development and depth of details. However, the number of characters and amount of scene development can be conducive to getting lost if you aren't paying close attention.

Again, I will say that the book isn't terrible and at times I did rather enjoy it. It really did feel like I was a resident of the community these characters were from and that I was witnessing the reactions of these people to the man's death. But because of its complex character structure and sheer length, this book is definitely not for the faint of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment