Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chipotle Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

You know you're in for a good recipe when the title itself is a mouthful :)  And it may seem like a strange mouthful, but it's totally fantastic. It's another recipe that we've been making forever (are you noticing a trend with that? Usually the only main course recipes I've brave enough to cook on my own are ones we've been doing forever so that I know exactly what I'm doing and how it's supposed to turn out), and every time we make it we always comment that we need to make it more often. It's just such an unusual combinations of tastes and flavors and textures, yet it all seems to work in perfect harmony together. But before I distract you with my ridiculous explanations, let's get to the recipe.


Chipolte Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
(another old recipe that I have no idea where it came from)

Salsa
2 cups minced pineapple (usually we use fresh, but we've made it with canned and it tastes fine)
1 cup minced apple
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tbsp chopped cilantro (or parsley or spinach, depending on your preferences)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients, stirring until well blended. Chill until ready to use.

Tacos
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced (we've been known to use thinly sliced chops on occasion because we're more likely to have that on hand)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 chipoltle chiles, canned in abodo sauce (this was way too spicy for us the first time we made it, plus we had most of the can leftover, so lately we've just been substituting a couple dashes of cayenne pepper)
Tortillas

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion for two minutes or until tender. Add garlic, cook thirty seconds. Add pork and cook until it loses its pink color. Stir in broth through chiles. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer ten minutes. Uncover and simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated. Serve on tortillas with salsa.

We also love this recipe because not only is it delicious, but it's a great two-person prep meal. I know that probably sounds strange to have that be a good quality, but Darrell and I like to cook together, but on most recipes he's doing the cooking and I'm doing the getting in the way. It doesn't take a ton of time for just one person to do, but with two people it goes super quickly because one person can be throwing the salsa together while the other is doing the pork filling (and yes--I always do the salsa because I don't like handling raw meat and onions if I don't have to. I think I have the world's most understanding and patient husband). Anyway, I know that it might sound a little unusual, but it really is a fantastic recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment