Wednesday, December 1, 2010

First Snow

So, I was all set to blog yesterday, I even had my camera ready to go with a picture on it, and then my computer decided it didn't want to upload my picture. Boo. But, I've resolved the problem, and am back today ready to talk about our first "snow".
For those of you who have never experienced winter in South Dakota, I put the "snow" in parentheses for good reason. For starters, I don't count it as real snow unless you can do something worthwhile with it--and since all we got was (and all we usually get is) light fluffy powdered stuff that blows across the roads like tiny grains of sand, I'm not actually going to flatter it with the name snow. More like puffs of ice. Secondly, even if it were real snow, no one would have been able to do anything with it anyway since the temperature with windchill was below zero. Doesn't really scream "Build me a snowman" kind of weather. That being said, it was enough precipitation to cause some travel issues, but nothing quite as bad as the freezing rain we had a few weeks ago. Here is the view from our deck the following morning.




See? Nothing exciting. Just miserably, miserably, cold and windy.

The highlight of the week though has been driving my neighbor's truck! I have always had a secret love for trucks and all large vehicles, and totally wish Darrell and I could justify the gas-guzzling tendencies and other expenses associated with getting one. Probably won't ever happen, so for now I'll just enjoy it while I can.

I'll be back tomorrow to show off the fruits of my labor on the day after Thanksgiving--got to love days off of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment