Thursday, July 12, 2012

Caramel Brownies

So you know those super easy, super convenient brownie mixes that come with a "caramel pouch" so that you can add a caramel swirl? Well--these are waaaay more delicious. And only a little bit more work. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try making these from scratch and eliminate all boxed mixes, but for now, I'm in love with making these just the way they are.


Caramel Brownies

1 (14 oz) pkg caramels, unwrapped (probably the most time-consuming part of the whole recipe!)
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk*, divided
1 pkg chocolate cake mix with pudding in the mix (Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, etc)
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350* and grease a 9x13 pan. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, melted butter, and 1/3 cup of the sweetened condensed milk. Do not use a mixer. Press half the dough into prepared pan and bake for ten minutes. Meanwhile, combine caramels and remaining 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. When bars are done, remove from oven and top with chocolate chips, then pour the caramel mixture evenly over the chips. Crumble the remaining dough over the caramel mixture. Bake for an additional fifteen to eighteen minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

*So I got to the point where I had thought I had this recipe memorized, and made it two or three times with sweentened condensed milk, only to pull the recipe card out and discover that the recipe actually calls for evaporated milk instead. I don't know if I've ever actually made these with evaporated milk (except maybe the first time!), but I really like them with the sweetened condensed milk so I don't think I'll be straying from that any time soon.

And just because I think the layers in these bars are super fun (and because I baked them in a glass pan so you can see through it!), here's another picture of these delicious goodies!

Way better than a little bit of caramel swirled over the top from a pouch, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment