Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Need to Vent? Apparently, I'm All Ears

I'll be totally honest. Working with high school students can be draining. And challenging. And there are definitely days when I can't wait to get home so I can unwind with a nice glass of wine. It comes with the territory, and I'm totally okay with that.

But today? I'm seriously looking forward to a glass of wine because of my co-workers. Which never happens. I genuinely love my co-workers and love the work environment, and although the size of our staff causes some general differences in opinion, it's never really enough to cause any major issues. But for whatever reason, today I've been a sounding board for multiple staff members. Dealing with multiple stressors and issues. And while I'm totally okay with being there for people (because it often puts my own "issues" into perspective), something about today is just rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe it's just Darrell rubbing off on me--he's very much a take action kind of guy, so whenever I try to vent to him he is full of suggestions of ways to fix the issue, even if all I want to do is complain about it. And fixing problems was all I wanted to do today, although I could clearly tell that's not what my co-workers wanted (something about not being able to get a word in edgewise kind of gave that away). So I held my tongue and kept it inside. And ended up leaving the conversation feeling like I had just dealt with a seventeen year old who told me that he didn't need to do his work and pass his classes because he was just going to end up in jail anyway, and hopefully not for something stupid like petty theft (true story). If that's not enough to drive you to having a glass of wine, I don't know what is.

Happy Wednesday folks--I'll raise my glass tonight to the (hopefully!) downhill slope after the hump!


No comments:

Post a Comment