Friday, February 3, 2012

The Help


I know that I'm way behind on the times with this book since many people have moved on to talking about the movie release and its subsequent Oscar nominations (Best Picture, Leading Actress, and two Supporting Actresses). But, better late then never I suppose. Because if there is still someone out there sitting on the fence, or who has had this book slip off their radar without reading it, then maybe this review will be the prompt or reminder to get this book read. I absolutely flew through this book and really enjoyed every aspect of it. I felt like the historical context was accurate and well-portrayed, and each of the characters had a very distinct, authentic personality. Plus the whole concept of the book is gripping in and of itself--a young white woman penning a book about the lives of African-American maids and housekeepers, all while living in Jackson, MS, one of the hot-spots for Civil Rights activity in the 1960s.

This book certainly has what it takes to be a classic and I'm very grateful to have gotten a copy of it for Christmas so I can hold on to it and share it with my children someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment