Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chores

Fact: I have used the snowblower more this winter than Darrell has. Quite a bit more, actually. It has nothing to do with Darrell being lazy--just poor timing on when the snow falls. He will always get up and clear the driveway in the morning before work, but this year we've only had snow overnight once or twice. Most of the snowfall has occurred during the day--and most often on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays, which are the days I beat Darrell home from work. And since my car isn't exactly a beast, I usually end up having to clear the driveway just to be able to get in the garage without fear of getting stuck (especially if the plows have gone by!). Plus, the one time it did snow on a Wednesday, Darrell had a late meeting, so even though I didn't get off work until six I still beat him home. And had to clear the driveway.

Can you tell that I'm a little annoyed by this fact? I really do not enjoy clearing the driveway, our snowblower is somewhat large and unwieldy (especially when maneuvering it around our excessively uneven and cracked driveway), and no matter what direction I blow the snow, I always end up with it blowing back in my face (and, inevitably, into the garage. I've actually had to shovel snow out of our garage after I cleared the driveway. I'm convinced that the location of our house creates a weird wind tunnel that just causes the snow to circulate and blow all over the place).

But?!? It's totally worth it to make my husband happy. When he comes home after I've cleared the driveway he's giddy like a kid at Christmas. Major thanks to "The Five Love Languages" in helping me to realize that Darrell's love language is "Acts of Service"--I may not enjoy doing the work, but he sure appreciates it!

No comments:

Post a Comment