Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ready for Baby?!?!

Now, before anyone gets too excited (ahem, Kim and Shirley), I'm going to start by saying this DOES NOT mean Darrell and I are jumping on the baby wagon. Not anytime soon, at least. What I do mean, though, is that WHEN we get pregnant, I'll think we'll be set to handle it.

Allow me to explain. Last night I babysat my friend's one-year old for four hours (and did I remember to take a single picture? Nope. I'm babysitting again next week, so maybe I'll remember then). Allow me to be somewhat boastful and brag about my accomplishments and productivity, all while watching a toddler (who, for the record, was not contained in a pack-n-play and was instead crawling around the house and exploring.

--Made lasagna for dinner (I did cheat and start it a little before she got there, but I still had to assemble it and put it in the oven with her there)
--Washed dishes from making dinner (and other assorted dishes stacked on our counter)
--Pushed the baby and stroller (and diaper bag and extra blankets and snack) to the high school and back (approximately one mile round trip, half of which is a gravel sidewalk)
--Sat through a 40-minute coronation ceremony for Homecoming (only a few fusses here and there, from the baby, not me)
--And, most importantly, I kept the baby alive and made sure she didn't ingest any foreign objects or break anything in our non-baby proofed house

Not too bad, eh?? And yes, I totally realize that one night does not equate a lifetime of caring for a child, and let's be honest, I didn't even have to deal with a dirty diaper so it wasn't even that realistic, but I was still pretty proud. And I even did most of the work by myself; Darrell came home for a short while and helped entertain Baby K while I was finishing up the dishes and getting the stuff loaded for our walk, but then he had to leave for a volleyball game, so the rest was on my own.

I know that Darrell and I will still be totally overwhelmed when we have a kid of our own, but it's nice to know that with a little bit of work and compromise we can still maintain a comparable lifestyle to the one we live now. Hopefully the next few babysitting experiences go equally smoothly and don't totally deter us from ever having kids of our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment