Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Garden Space

Earlier this week I posted about the kick-off of our gardening for the summer, and mentioned that I might have gotten a little overly ambitious when it came to selecting vegetables for our garden. In fact, some of you who remember our garden space from last year probably saw the picture of the seed packets and thought that I was outright crazy with the amount of plants I was buying. Let's refresh. Here's a picture of our garden bed right after we built it last year, all six by six feet of it:



And here's a picture of all the vegetables I am hoping to grow:


Now, before you start shooting off advice about how I'm way out of me league and don't know a thing about gardening if I'm planning to put all that into a 6x6 plot, allow me to tell you that I've got exciting news to share!


We're increasing the size of our garden! Doubling it, to be exact. I'm planning to till up the ground this weekend while I have a few days off work, and hopefully Darrell will be able to get the plot built the following weekend while I'm out of town. And if this nice weather keeps up, we might be able to get our plants in shortly after that! I know that logic would suggest that we gain enough experience to be successful in our small garden before adding more space (if you recall, last summer we only yielded produce from about half the seeds we planted), but I like to think that more space and more vegetables means a greater likelihood for success (just don't try to tell me it could also mean an even more massive fail). I've got a few more tricks and tools up my sleeve than I did last year, so I'm (probably foolishly) optimistic about lots of delicious homegrown produce this summer!

2 comments:

  1. Have you checked out square foot gardening? It might work in the space you currently have. http://timssquarefootgarden.com/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do use some of the square foot gardening practices in spacing our plants. Although last year we found that we disagree with some of the guidelines they use; four square feet per zucchini/squash plant just wasn't enough!

      Delete